ADVANTAGES OF HOME BIRTH...
- Statistics show homebirth safety for low risk women with adequate prenatal care, and a qualified birth attendant.
- Labor can progress naturally, without unnecessary interventions.
- Women can eat, drink, walk, make noises, shower, bathe, etc.
- Cost of home birth is less than hospital.
- Continuous care given by a midwife throughout labor, birth and postpartum.
- Women are encouraged and supported while they maintain control of their birth experience.
- Care-givers establish a trusting relationship with the birthing family.
- Mother/baby bonding is enhanced and breastfeeding is supported.
DISADVANTAGES OF HOMEBIRTH...
- Client must assume a greater responsibility for their own health.
- Negative judgments and lack of support from people that view hospital birth as socially correct.
- Cesareans, forceps and anesthetics are not readily available requiring transport if necessary.
- 24 hour maternity nursing care is usually unavailable.
ADVANTAGES OF A BIRTH CENTER...
- Facility is only provided for pregnancy and birth events.
- Offers more personalized care than most hospitals.
- Pregnancy is considered a natural and healthy process in a birth center.
- During pregnancy, women are encouraged to take charge of their own health.
- Greater parental control, freedom to move and eat, and the choice of birthing positions.
- Lower cesarean and forcep rates than hospitals.
- Women are allowed to return home within hours.
DISADVANTAGES OF A BIRTH CENTER...
- Screening process eliminates many healthy mothers, i.e., VBAC; mothers over 35, etc.
- Mother must travel to center and labor away from home environment.
- Many centers have protocols requiring transport to hospital for prolonged labor, etc.
- Many communities do not have birth centers.
ADVANTAGES OF HOSPITAL BIRTH...
- Some mothers feel safest laboring in a hospital.
- Emergency cesarean is readily available in hospital.
- In some cases it is the safest environment for the high risk mother or baby.
- Immediate pediatric care for newborn needing medical care.
- 24 hour maternity nursing care is available.
DISADVANTAGES OF HOSPITAL BIRTH...
- Parents do not have control of their birth.
- Less privacy and increase of fear in some women.
- The father is less likely to be actively involved during labor and birth.
- Routine separation of the mother and baby is almost unavoidable.
- Birth is managed by people trained in pathology, not normal birth.
- Risk of having an unnecessary cesarean or episiotomy is higher.
- Risk of infection or iatrogenic complications to mother and baby is increased.
- Proper nourishment during labor and adequate rest is limited due to hospital protocols.